TMJ Therapy in Costa Mesa, CA
Many patients suffer from TMJ dysfunction and think there's nothing that can be done about it. Oh, how wrong they are. Our Costa Mesa, CA office welcomes all patients who are suffering from this uncomfortable ailment. Your jaw lays the foundation that your mouth needs in order to function properly. It helps you eat, talk and more. You might not realize just how vital your jaw is until it starts to fail. We take the necessary steps to improve the function and comfort of your jaw. Eating and talking shouldn’t be painful, and we aim to relieve you from TMJ pain for good.
What Is TMJ Syndrome?
This particular disease primarily affects the jaw muscles and nerves of the temporomandibular joint. These are the important parts of your jaw; it helps you open and close your mouth. This is especially important for performing tasks that take no thought like eating, speaking, yawning, sneezing and whatever else involves moving your jaw up and down. Each part of the jaw is affected – lower and upper portions included. Problems that keep your jaw and its respective muscles and nerves from operating properly and without pain can be pointed directly to an agonizing TMJ disorder.
TMJ Syndrome Risks
There are plenty of risks when it comes to TMJ syndrome. Some patients are at risk more than others and it’s important to know how:
- Straining in the neck and other deformities caused by poor posture in the neck area and back muscles, closer to the top.
- Unwanted stress to where your muscles and jaw are clenching and feeling more tense than normal.
- Patients who are suffering from chronic inflammatory diseases and other conditions are susceptible
- Patients with misaligned teeth and previous jaw trauma are at risk
- Women between the ages of 18-44 are at risk
TMJ Disorder Symptoms
The pain associated with TMJ disorder can be outright unbearable. The symptoms that are felt can be arduous:
- Painful chewing
- Jaw clicking/popping
- Swelling of the face
- Inflammation of the nerves
- Severe headaches
- Teeth grinding
- Jaw dislocation
TMJ/TMD Treatment Options
We offer TMJ therapy (TMD therapy) in our office, but also want you to be aware of some at-home remedies that could help you in the long run. Our dental staff wants your jaw to be in the best shape it possibly can. If you’re suffering from the possible symptoms of TMJ, give these recommendations a try to see if you notice any differences in how your jaw feels:
- Eat soft food that's easy on your mouth
- Stay away from chewing gum and resist the temptation to bite your nails
- Apply pressure to the pain-inflicted area with a heat pack
- Relaxation techniques can help your jaw immensely with activities like meditation
If symptoms are so severe that nothing you have tried has worked, it's time to see Dr. Jorgenson for further TMJ treatment. He will help you correct any alignment issues causing the painful symptoms. You will sit with Dr. Jorgenson for a one-on-one consultation to discuss your options and being hashing out a plan to restore your jaw's health. A special orthodontic appliance will be placed to rid you of the pain from TMJ disorder.
We pride ourselves on providing compassionate care for you and your family. We're happy to extend TMJ/TMD therapy to patients in and around Costa Mesa, CA, including Irvine, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach and beyond.